Windows Security - Can't Change Settings
The laptop is an Acer Aspire 5732Z, the specs are:
CPU - T4400
RAM - 3.00 GB
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, no SP1 yet
the hard drive is about 250gb, with most of that space free, and just 1 visible partition.
It has 2 problems
1) It takes a long time to boot up, it used to be excessively slow in windows but removing Norton 360 seems to have solved that part. I can time it if needed.
2) A lot of the programs on the system are blocked by windows security, causing the orange "These files can't be opened" error message to pop up.
These include gfxUI.exe (the UI for the onboard graphics), the installer for Crap Cleaner, the installer for Service Pack 1, the add new user window, and a load of other files I don't have a list of. There's only 1 account on the system, and it's an admin account. I've tried to use the run as admin option where possible.
Here's what I've done so far:
- Reinstalled intel graphics drivers, no effect
- Ran a startup repair, after an hour it hadn't loaded.
- Uninstalled norton 360, system speed improved by several hundred times, otherwise no effect, and bootup time still seems as long.
- Gone into windows firewall and reset all settings to default, no effect.
- Tried to change the settings in internet security, set everything low except for my computer, which is locked, no effect
- Gone into internet security and clicked set all zones to default, no effect
I tried to install SP1 (after failing several times before due to the system being too slow to install it), security blocked it, then apparently deleted the installer. I tried to make a new user account, to copy the registry settings for the security to overwrite the faulty settings on the main account, the new user account window was blocked by security.
In a cmd window run as admin, used command
secedit /configure /cfg %windir%infdefltbase.inf /db defltbase.sdb /verbose
gave a progress report, completed, no effect.
I backed up important data, tried to reinstall windows from scratch, the installer doesn't load, after clicking install now it just starts loading and doesn't stop. At this point, I thought it must be a hardware issue, so I tried to run some diagnostics from a bootable CD. It wouldn't read the CD.
Posted: Nov 2, 2011
View 9 Replies!